FACILITIES

Seaborg Science Complex
West Science and New Science Facilities

The Seaborg Science Complex is made up of two buildings: Luther S. West Science Facility and the New Science Facility.

The Department is located in the Seaborg Science Complex, which opened in 2001 and is considered by many to be among the finest science facilities in the Midwest. Each classroom is a hands-on, interactive learning environment that will give you the best education available.

Seaborg Science Complex

The complex is named for Glenn T. Seaborg, an Ishpeming native who went on to discover plutonium and 10 other elements.  He was awarded the Nobel Prize for chemistry in 1951 (with co-discoverer Edwin McMillan) and the 1991 National Medal of Science. Luther S. West served as the head of Northern's Biology Department for 27 years.

 

Home
DH Message
Reaching Us
Facilities
Quick Facts
Colloquium
Newsletter
Useful Links
Bylaws

Jamrich Hall

Jamrich Hall is primarily a classroom building, containing five large lecture halls, the largest holding up to 500 students, and numerous smaller classrooms. In addition to its academic uses, films shown by student groups, community lectures and other events also are held here and the basement houses some faculty offices. Jamrich is connected to the Seaborg Complex with a skywalk.

The building is named after former NMU President John X. Jamrich (1968-1983).

Jamrich Hall


Lydia Olson Library

The award-winning Lydia Olson Library is located on the second and third floors of the Edgar Harden Learning Resources Center. It contains thousands of books, journals and magazines, national and international newspapers in print and online, access to numerous proprietary databases, U.S. and Michigan government publications, maps, a pre-K to 12 teacher resource room and multi-media materials. The library catalog and hundreds of specialty journals can be searched online.

Library staff are available to assist with reference and research questions and to locate materials within the library and online. Reference librarians will also answer questions via instant messaging, e-mail or phone.

Study carrels, tables and relaxing seating areas are placed around the library. A number of small classrooms and conference rooms are also housed here.

Services include public computers, photocopy machines, audiovisual and multimedia equipment, microfische readers and printers, and machinery for laminating and creating transparencies.

The LRC is connected to the Seaborg Complex by an underground tunnel.

Edgar L. Harden was NMU's president from 1956-1967.