Bao Truong joined the NMU Mathematics and Computer Science Department faculty in fall 2008. He received his Ph.D. in applied mathematics from Wayne State University (WSU) in 2008 and his B.S. in applied mathematics from Ho Chi Minh University of Science, Vietnam. Bao worked as a lecturer for three years in the Department of Mathematics and Informatics at the University of Science in Vietnam before studying at WSU with a graduate teaching assistant scholarship. His areas of research interest include variational analysis, nonsmooth analysis, generalized differentiation, multiobjective optimization, welfare economics.
▪ B. A. English Linguistics and Literature, University of Social Sciences and Humanities (Vietnam), 2002
AWARDS AND HONORS
· NMU Faculty Grant. Preference Optimality Conditions in Multi-objective Optimization with Applications, January 1, 2010–-January 31, 2011, $ 6,000.00.
· Department of Mathematics Graduate Assistance Excellence in Teaching Award. Wayne State University, April 2008.
· Geert C.E. Prins Award for Outstanding achievement in the Graduate Program, April 2008.
· Karl W. and Helen L. Folley Endowed Mathematics Scholarship in recognition of the outstanding academic record, April 2007.
· Karl W. and Helen L. Folley Endowed Mathematics Scholarship in recognition of the outstanding academic record, April 2006.
· Graduate Student Professional Travel Award from Department of Mathematics, Wayne State University, October 2007, March 2007, August 2007, January 2008, July 2008.
· Graduate Teaching Assistant, Wayne State University, 2003 - 2008.
· Award from CUD to attend the Spring School, Vietnam, March 2007.
· Award from ICCOPT Summer School to attend it, New York, July 2004.
· Full scholarship to attend CIUF - CUD Summer School, Nha Trang, Vietnam, August 2002.
· Full scholarship to attend CUD Summer School, Da Nang, Vietnam, August 2002.
· Outstanding Employee Award, University of Science—Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, 2002.
· Scholarship of Ho Chi Minh Informatics Association, 1999.
· Toyota scholarship in recognition of the outstanding academic record, 1998.
· Nguyen Dinh Chung Song Mathematics Award, 1993.
RECENT PUBLICATION (more)
· (with B. Mordukhovich) Set-valued optimization in welfare economics. Adv. Math. Eco. 13 (2010), 113-153.
· (with B. Mordukhovich) Relative Pareto minimizers in multiobjective optimization: existence and optimality conditions. Math. Prog. 122 (2010), 301-347.
· Variational Analysis with Applications to Multiobjective Optimization. Ph.D. Dissertation (Advisor: Boris Mordukhovich). Wayne State University, 2008.
· AMS Joint Annual Mathematics Meeting, special session on Set-Valued Optimization and Variational Problems, January 6 - 9, 2011, New Orleans, Los Angeles.
· Annual UP MAA Meeting, October 8-9, 2010, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, Michigan.
· 3rd International Conference on Continuous Optimization ICCOPT 2010, July 24-25, 2010 (winter school) July 26-29, 2010 (conference), Santiago, Chile.
· CIMPA-UNESCO-VIETNAM School on Variational Inequalities and Related Problems, May 10-21, 2010, Hanoi, Vietnam.
· Vietnam International University, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam: Visiting Position, Summer 2010, Discrete Mathematics.
· Vietnam International University, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam: Visiting Position, Summer 2009, Differential Equations, Calculus II.
· Member of American Mathematical Society (2003 - present)
· Member of Mathematical America Association (2008 - present)
· Member of Vietnamese Mathematical Society (2000 - present)
· Referee for many mathematics journals.
· MAA Departmental Liaison (2008 – present)
Date of Birth: January 1st, 1978
Full name: Truong Quang Bao (Last/ Middle/ Given in the order name in Vietnamese custom)
Other skills: Some fluency in French (sufficient for translation/research and basic conversation)
Reasonable fluency in TEX, Mathematica and Mathlab
Boris Mordukhovich (dissertation advisor)
Phan Quoc Khanh (thesis advisor)